Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) involves the contracting of the operations and responsibilities of a specific business functions (or processes) to a third-party service provider.BPO Services started in India in the early and mid 1990’s,largely attributed to the the foreign direct investment (FDI).
2 Factors that are attributing to the success of BPO in India is
- The cheaper employee costs and
- The pool of skilled, English-speaking Indians.
The different kinds of services offered by BPO’s include Customer Support, Technical Support, Telemarketing, Insurance Processing, Data Processing, Internet / Online / Web Research and so on.
- Customer Support Services : Manages customer queries through multiple channels including voice, e-mail and chat on a 24/7 and 365 days basis.For Example: Mobile Phone Operator Help Lines, Broadband Services, Banking Services for enquiring about Credit Card related enquires and issues, etc.
- Technical Support Services : Technical support offers round-the-clock technical support (These include installation and product support,troubleshooting and product Usage support.).For Example : Internet Service Provide(ISP) helpline where the user is helped to resolve/trouble shoot the problem.
- Telemarketing Services : Telesales and telemarketing outsourcing services interact with potential customers by introducing new products/offers to either existing or new customers and complete the sales process online without the customer requiring to either callup or visit a shop.Service Example: Credit Card and Mobile Phone Operator telemarketing where the existing customers are called up and told about new offers and schemes.
- Employee IT Help-desk Services : Employee IT help-desk services provide technical problem resolution and support for corporate employees.Example : This involves IT support to the employees of the company with support for software,hardware,connectivity etc.
- Insurance Processing : Insurance processing services provide specialized solutions to the insurance sector and support critical business processes.Service Example: Introduction of new policy covers to existing customer or new customers, provides supports via email/phone for enquires and policy claims enquires etc.
- Data Entry Services / Data Processing Services and Data Conversion :
- Data entry from Image file in any format
- Business Transaction Data entry like sales / purchase / payroll.
- Data entry of E-Books, Compilation from Web site, from hardcopy/Printed Material,
- Data Entry into Software Program and application
- Data Entry for Mailing List/Mailing Label.
- Manuscripting typing in to word
- Taped Transcription in to word.
- Copy, Paste, Editing, Sorting, Indexing Data into required format etc.
- Data Entry from hardcopy/Printed Material into MS Excel or MS Access
- Data Conversion via Input / Output for various media.
- Data Conversion for databases, word processors, spreadsheets, and many other standard and custom-made software packages as per requirement.
- Strategic Data Entry into Software Program and application
- Receipt / Bill Data Entry Services
- Catalog Data Entry Service
- Conversion of data across various databases on different platforms
Required Qualifications For A Job In BPO, there none to be said exactly but Good Communication skills, Good English speaking skills and readiness to work in night shifts should get you going in a BPO Company.Almost every BPO gives its employees a training to undergo to understand its operations.
Some of the leading BPO companies in India are Wipro BPO, Infosys BPO, HCL BPO etc.,