UPSC introduced the new CSAT paper from 2011, the Paper – I which is about general studies is still the same with changes in the way questions are framed. Since 3 years the questions in the Prelims require more understanding of the basic concepts in subjects. Previous papers help in assessing our preparation by answering UPSC set questions from Previous Papers. UPSC has made available Previous Years Question Papers on their website, but these are just questions and not really useful as they lack the answers.
Publisher – Disha Publication
Book Title : CSAT Topic-wise Solved Papers: 19 Years General Studies 1995 – 2013 make self assessment easier with topic wise breakup of questions from UPSC Preliminary Exam Papers for the last 19 years , this including the 2013 Prelims Papers.
Table of Contents
History of India
1. Ancient History
2. Medieval History
3. Modern History
4. Indian National Movement
UPSC Syllabus ( as per 2013 Notification ): History of India and Indian National Movement.
1. Physical Geography
2. World Political Geography
3. Geography of India
UPSC Syllabus ( as per 2013 Notification ) – Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
Indian Polity and Governance
2. Political System
3. Panchayati Raj & Public Policy
4. Judiciary & Right Issues
UPSC Syllabus ( as per 2013 Notification ) – Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
Economic Social Development
1. Structure of the Indian Economy
2. Planning and Economic Development
3. Agriculture in the National Economy
4. Indian Industries
5. The Tertiary Sector in the Indian Economy
UPSC Syllabus ( as per 2013 Notification ) – Economic and Social Development Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics,Social Sector initiatives, etc.
4. Ecology, Biodiversity & Climate Change
UPSC Syllabus ( as per 2013 Notification ) – General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization. General Science.
Mental Ability & Management Ability
1. Mental Ability, Analytical & Logical Reasoning
3. Geometry & Mensuration
4. Permutation, Combination & Probability
5. Time and Distance
6. Data Interpretation
7. General Comprehension
8. English Language (Comprehension)
9. Interpersonal Skills, Communication & Decision Making
UPSC Syllabus ( as per 2013 Notification )
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem-solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level),
- Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
- English Language Comprehension skills (Class X level).
1. World Panorama
2. Indian Panorama
3. Sports and Games
3. Sports and Games
4. Trends in Science and Technology
The book is neatly divided into various topics and questions grouped, each topic has answers with explanations and not just the correct answer for the question. This help one correct oneself and improving subject knowledge.
Looking at the current trend the Papers, The section of Current Affairs might not be very helpful as the current affairs is more dynamic. But the previous current affairs would be continuous and have a link to the present issues. The Current Affairs can help connect old current affairs with the latest current affairs.
Overall this book is a must for all aspirants.
Extra : This book is also available in HINDI.