Different companies have different interview rounds.Some companies prefer a Phone Interview with the Candidates before calling them for a face to face interview.The goal of a telephone interview is to get a face to face interview.
Schedule An Appointment :
- Who calls who? : Employers often prefer to call candidates at their convenience, but employers may ask a candidate to call them to test how serious they are.
- Confirm All Aspects of the Phone Interview like such as the date, time, and who you will be talking to.
Prepare for the Phone Interview
- Research the job and the company so you are prepared to discuss the organization and your role.
- Practice to talk clearly,slowly and sound confident over the phone.Do not sound rushed or anxious.
- Insure you are in a location where you will have no distractions.
- Make preparation notes (questions), if you are aware of the topics you are about to be interviewed about you can have self prepared notes at your nearest.
- Keep your resume, pen, paper, calendar, company information by the phone.
- Find a quiet place to take the call, you don’t want to have radio, TV, children or pets in the background.
During the Interview :
- Ask the interviewer’s name and contact information so that you can call or email him back.
- Don’t chew gum, smoke, drink or eat during phone interviews.
- Speak slowly and clearly.
- Be a good listener. Allow the interviewer finish his question before you respond. Ask for clarification if necessary.
- Don’t answer in yes/no unless required, expand your answers in order to give the interviewer an understanding of who you are.
- Ask questions. It shows your interest in the position. But don’t ask questions about salary and benefits.
- Take note during the phone interview.
- Always ask about the next step. Your goal of the phone interview is to get a face-to-face interview.
Check out these 2 Video’s about How To Prepare and Master The Phone Interviews