Since 2013 UPSC has introduced a new Paper in the Mains Examination on Ethics Integrity and Aptitude.This paper will include questions to test the candidates’ attitude and approach to issues relating to integrity, probity in public life and his problem solving approach to various issues and conflicts faced by him in dealing with society. Questions may utilize the case study approach ( Given in 2013 Mains )to determine these aspects.
Lets first look into what is part of the syllabus given in the 2013 Mains Notification.
Syllabus – PAPER – IV – Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude
- Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships. Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
- Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behaviour; moral and political attitudes; social influence and persuasion.
- Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service , integrity, impartiality and nonpartisanship, objectivity, dedication to public service, empathy, tolerance and compassion towards the weaker sections.
- Emotional intelligence-concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
- Public/Civil service values and Ethics in Public administration: Status and problems; ethical concerns and dilemmas in government and private institutions; laws, rules, regulations and conscience as sources of ethical guidance; accountability and ethical governance; strengthening of ethical and moral values in governance; ethical issues in international relations and funding; corporate governance.
- Probity in Governance: Concept of public service; Philosophical basis of governance and probity; Information sharing and transparency in government, Right to Information, Codes of Ethics, Codes of Conduct, Citizen’s Charters, Work culture, Quality of service delivery, Utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption.
- Case Studies on above issues.
Many aspirants have the doubt around this paper on how to go about studying for this paper. The best way to start preparing any paper/subject is to pick up a basic book to start with.
40% Off – Buy Now – Rs. 275
Book Content :
- Introduction to ethics
- Western moral thinkers
- Ethical ideas in Indian philosophical tradition
- Lessons from the lives of great leaders, reformers and administrators
- Ethics and human interface: essence, determinants and consequences of
- Ethics in human actions
- Sources of ethical guidance: laws, rules, regulations and conscience
- Ethical qualities through the lens of sages and great thinkers
- Ethical reasoning and moral dilemmas
- Codes of ethics and codes of conduct
- Individual ethics of civil servants
- Code of conduct for ministers
- Mechanisms for fighting corruption
- Fight against corruption: current issues
- Multi-pronged approach to reducing corruption
- The right to information act
- Citizen’s charter
- Utilization of public funds
- Corporate governance
- Political attitudes
- Emotional intelligence
- International morality
- Case studies
- Glossary of terms
Some of the Government Sources from where you can get good information for this Paper are listed below for your reference.
- Competency Dictionary for the Civil Services [ PDF ] – http://persmin.gov.in/otraining/CompetencyDictionary.asp
- 4th report ARC – ‘Ethics in Governance’
- 2013 GS Paper – 4 Mains Question Paper
- UPSC Sample GS Paper 4
If you are aware of any other sources do share it with us by commenting below.